As stewards in the Okanagan and Similkameen, you can help save the salamanders by:1. Keeping non-toxic cover objects, such as wood piles and garden ornaments, throughout your yard.
2. Retaining soft, sandy soil in your yard
3. Allowing other burrowing critters, such as pocket gophers, to burrow and create salamander shelters in your yard
|Don't introduce fish to ponds or water bodies!|
5. Keeping ponds and water bodies fish-free
6. Reporting Blotched Tiger Salamander, or the introduced predator, American Bullfrog, sightings to Frogwatch, or biologist Sara Ashpole, at firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Building a pond! Okanagan Similkameen Stewardship Society can help put you in contact with professionals able to assist in pond-construction.
|Frog Log Escape Ramp|
9. Safely pulling over and helping salamanders cross roads; place the salamander across the road in the direction they are facing.
For more information on what you can do to help in the recovery of local amphibians at risk, contact the Okanagan Similkameen Stewardship Society at email@example.com.